Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Post-Regionals

Hi all. Regionals has come and gone.

It was disappointing. I won't divulge on too many details, but just know that it was a letdown. We won our first two games against Queens-Kingston and Carleton University, but both of them were close calls (we were actually down to Carleton U 5-10 at one point). I think we wasted too much energy, and since they were close games, we relied too much on our core of 'reliable' players - which, unfortunately, we don't have too many of. Then they were exhausted for our semi-final game against Maryland, and we broke down. Poor handler play did us in as well. We ended up dropping our first and only game on Sunday to Edinboro.

What I think needs to be done for this team to thrive is great development of basic skills!!! Our team was very much a 'system' team - one that was solid on fundamental strategies, which helped catapult us to some big wins over the course of the season. Solid no-dump defense and poachy under-defense were the trademarks of our success. But too many of our team consisted of role-players, people who, on other top-tier teams, would not get a sniff for an A-team spot. Granted, they didn't play much for our team anyways, but they were missing some vital element: throws, athleticism, coordination, or any combination thereof. They were missing some of the fundamentals. And that's why I was so pessimistic in the fall, because I didn't see much potential with this team. Strategy was the major harbinger to our success, not layout D's, not incredible hucks, not sick skys.

Since I'm pretty positive I'm set for captaincy in my senior year, I will get to work making sure any new recruits are solid in the fundamentals... I'm going to try and build a team capable of making nationals.

1 comment:

Gregorous_Maximus said...

I'll see you at nationals in three years.